La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Not Your Mom’s Duet - Uh-huh, Uh-huh...


The praise of all things vinyl continues with this item in your favourite neighbourhood record store today. Now this may be one thing you’d least expect to hear, but Constantines and Feist have teamed up to record a cover of the Bee Gee’s penned “Islands In The Stream”. This one has been released as a seven-inch single by Arts and Crafts in Canada on cool beige, marble vinyl.

Made famous in 1983 as a duet by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and a favourite of Constantines, Feist and my Mom, the song was recorded together in Toronto one chilly day in early February following a game of ice hockey and a round of hot chocolates. Their “decelerated and intimate” version of “Islands in the Stream” was produced by Jeff McMurrich, who also worked with Constantines on their new album, Kensington Heights, due for release on April 15, 2008.

No word yet though if the Cons will be opening any chicken roaster restaurants anytime soon.

6 comments:

amityb said...

Arrgghhh!

The only songs I could technically play were both versions of "Heartbeats," which I've heard before. Really wanted to hear that Spoon. Oh well.

I recently made my own playlist of covers, a few you might enjoy:

1. Electrelane's cover of Springsteen's "I'm On Fire"

2. Adam Green's version of the Libertines' "What a Waster"

3. Cat Power's cover of Bill Callahan's "Bathysphere"

Sean Wraight said...

Hello Amity,

I must admit, I am not a huge fan of my method of sharing music on this site. Aside from hosting the audio files myself this is the best alternative. My apologies for its technical limitations. I have noticed a couple of things though. If you allow the page to display completely it will play from the appropriate link. The other alternative is to go to the Seeqpod site directly

http://www.seeqpod.net/search

and look for another instance of the same song and play it from there. A bit of a nuisance for certain, I am looking at other options.

Loved those covers by the way. All very clever,the Bill Callahan song is one of my favourites. I will highlight some for certain.

Thank you.

s

Barbara Bruederlin said...

This shocks me to the core! The Cons covering Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton? Feist, I can see.

But you know what, I'll bet they had a blast, and that's part of what makes the Cons' music so great - the obvious joy they get from it.

Sean Wraight said...

You can actually hear a portion of the song in my link. It's quite good and no doubt they quite enjoyed themselves on that one.

The new Constantines record is very good as well. And although the cover is not on there the release is quite solid. Their sound is really getting quite refined at this point and I recommend picking it up. I suspect the Springsteen comparisons will be coming fast and furious with this one.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I do have the new Cons album and agree that it is really solid. I actually find it to be more straight away rock than Tournament of Hearts was, but yes, poor Bry will never get away from the Springsteen comparisons.

Sean Wraight said...

Check out the Constantines video I posted above. From a great show I attended last Fall right here in the city.