La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Friday, November 28, 2008

Best Music of 2008 - Part Three

80 08
The definitive “Everything is Pop” list of the Best Music of 2008 continues. Contentious? Perhaps… All part of the seasonal fun. Another twenty listed as we edge towards the elusive Number One CD of the year.

40. Plants And Animals Parc Avenue
39. Black Mountain In The Future
38. Drive By Truckers Brighter Than Creations Dark
37. The Felice Brothers The Felice Brothers
36. Elliot Brood Mountain Meadows
35. Giant Sand Provisions
34. Sun Kil Moon/ Mark Kozelek April / Nights
33. Bon Iver For Emma, Long Ago
32. Bowerbirds Hymns For a Dark Horse
31. Lykke Li Youth Novels
30. Monkey Journey to the West
29. Goldfrapp Seventh Tree
28. Santogold Santogold
27. Gang Gang Dance St. Dymphna
26. Matmos Supreme Balloon
25. High Places High Places
24. Windy and Carl Songs For The Broken Hearted
23. Boris Smile
22. No Age Nouns
21. Atlas Sound Let the Blind Lead Those Who Cannot See

20 – 1 Monday

7 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oddly, I just got the Black Mountain cd this week. I know, I know, so late! But it is pretty fine.

I am still looking for Lykke Li's cd. Must make another trip down to the only decent record stores in town.

Dale said...

It's official, I'm old! I know about 10 of the groups on your lists so far, and by 10, I mean 4.

Sean Wraight said...

BARBARA - You really must track down that Lykee Li CD. I posted a video for you. Show you some primo Lykke moves for the upcoming party season. I know I'll be practicing them.

What are your thoughts on the Black Mountain CD? I like their first a little better but this one is an interesting progression. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of them in the years ahead.

DALE - You are not old. Not by a long shot. Your Jefferson Starship t-shirt really has to go though.

s

bloody awful poetry said...

No Age's Nouns art the awesomeness! Although I'm quite disappointed to see Sigur ros only at number 70-sumfink.Down there somewhere... I thought they'd have merited a slightly higher position. =( Oh wells.

Sean Wraight said...

BAP - I admit it was with a heavy heart that Sigur Ros placed where they did in my humble rankings. After careful consideration though it landed there purely because of its overall effect on me this year. Gobbledigook was such a wonderful single and seemed like such an amazing direction for the band to take but alas it seemed to stop there. There is no doubt the rest of the album is terrific but it didn't reflect that same artistic leap as that initial single. For that reason, after careful consideration that is where it ended up.

So my apologies; I know they are a favourite of yours (as they are mine). But if I picked these purely with my heart it wouldn't represent a truly honest assessment of the artists' final work.

It will balance out I am sure as it will no doubt be placing highly on many lists this year.

Glad you picked up on No Age. A band to watch for in coming years for certain!

Cheers,
Sean (Who really has nothing personal against Icelandic musicians.)

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I haven't listened to the new Black Mountain quite enough yet to really decide, but Angels is a song that really gets under my skin for some reason. In a good way.

I have been searching for Lykke Li's cd for some time now. It is bound to be available by now methinks.

Dale said...

It's a Jefferson Airplane shirt and you can't have it!