La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Monday, December 1, 2008

Best Music of 2008 - Part Four (Final)

At last, the final twenty (one) best CD’s of 2008. Observant readers will note the tie at number 16 this year. (Mathematics, regulations and overt sentimentality were the cause…)

This has been an exceptional year for terrific music and I’ve made a number of great discoveries. Recurring favourites also made the grade. Such is the case for my highly coveted Number One. In truth it could not have been any closer. Fleet Foxes debut release is an absolute gem. Those gentle harmonies and Appalachian rhythms positively sublime. But it was Rook that consistently drew my utmost respect with every listen. I know very well that that Shearwater disc will be playing repeatedly even five years from now. Beautiful, sublime and perfect. A record for the ages.

I’ll break down some of my choices over the next couple of weeks and explain some of my rationale for selection and omission(s).

20. Jay Reatard Matador Singles ‘08
19. Deerhunter Microcastle/ Weird Era
18. Women Women
17. Chad Van Gaalen The Soft Airplane
16 (a). Mount Eerie And Julie Doiron Lost Wisdom
16 (b). Arthur Russell Love is Overtaking Me
15. Vivian Girls Vivian Girls
14. Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend
13. The Mountain Goats Heretic Pride
12. Little Joy Little Joy
11. Blitzen Trapper Furr
10. Laura Marling Alas, I Cannot Swim
9. Frightened Rabbit The Midnight Organ Fight
8. Mogwai The Hawk Is Howling
7. Autechre Quaristice
6. Portishead Third
5. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Dig, Lazarus Dig!!!
4. Department Of Eagles In Ear Park
3. Okkervil River The Stand-Ins
2. Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes
1. Shearwater Rook

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of your number one choice. Hmm...I'll have to change that.

Deerhunter, Chad, Nick Cave, and Portishead made my Top 25 for the year.

80 albums was quite ambitious. Well done, you!

Phronk said...

Nice! I agree with the ones I've heard of, so I'll have to look up the ones I haven't.

Great to see Portishead up there. They really have made a comeback.

It must have taken forever to create this top 80 ... it is much appreciated.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I don't know Shearwater either! But I certainly agree that Women, Chad VG, Nick Cave, and Portishead put out outstanding cds this year. Well listed!

Dale said...

Yay! Nick Cave's Lazarus and Portishead's Third (although it's become a mood thing for me - I secretly wanted it to sound more like their previous work but I still like it). I've just started liking Chad Van G a bit too so maybe it's time for new t-shirts?