At last, the final twenty (one) best CD’s of 2008. Observant readers will note the tie at number 16 this year. (Mathematics, regulations and overt sentimentality were the cause…)
This has been an exceptional year for terrific music and I’ve made a number of great discoveries. Recurring favourites also made the grade. Such is the case for my highly coveted Number One. In truth it could not have been any closer. Fleet Foxes debut release is an absolute gem. Those gentle harmonies and Appalachian rhythms positively sublime. But it was Rook that consistently drew my utmost respect with every listen. I know very well that that Shearwater disc will be playing repeatedly even five years from now. Beautiful, sublime and perfect. A record for the ages.
I’ll break down some of my choices over the next couple of weeks and explain some of my rationale for selection and omission(s).
20. Jay Reatard Matador Singles ‘08
19. Deerhunter Microcastle/ Weird Era
18. Women Women
17. Chad Van Gaalen The Soft Airplane
16 (a). Mount Eerie And Julie Doiron Lost Wisdom
16 (b). Arthur Russell Love is Overtaking Me
15. Vivian Girls Vivian Girls
14. Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend
13. The Mountain Goats Heretic Pride
12. Little Joy Little Joy
11. Blitzen Trapper Furr
10. Laura Marling Alas, I Cannot Swim
9. Frightened Rabbit The Midnight Organ Fight
8. Mogwai The Hawk Is Howling
7. Autechre Quaristice
6. Portishead Third
5. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Dig, Lazarus Dig!!!
4. Department Of Eagles In Ear Park
3. Okkervil River The Stand-Ins
2. Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes
1. Shearwater Rook