La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Monday, September 1, 2008

PLAYLIST 20 – "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."


This compendium was created by special request for Jack who starts Grade Six tomorrow. We are ALL kindred ‘spirits of the halls’ on this occasion. A special playlist assembled to commemorate the beginning of the anticipatory month. Tomorrow is the first day back to school and even I am feeling that cold grey ball of nervousness rising in my gut. School so far off now it hardly makes sense but my soul stirs at once out of joy and sadness together.

Best of luck Jack, you’re in for the time of your life.

Albert Hammond, Jr. - Feed Me Jack Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Peter Sellers
Paul Westerberg - Baby Learns To Crawl
The Ramones - Rock 'N' Roll High School (Ed Stasium Version)
Dennis Wilson - School Girl
3 Simmons - You Are My Dream (School Time)
Guided By Voices - Do They Teach You The Chase?
The A Frames - My Teacher
McLusky - What We've Learned
Cornershop - Lessons Learned From Rocky I To Rocky III
Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You
Soulwax - Teachers
Hot Chip - And I Was A Boy From School
The Knife - High School Poem
Cindy & The Playmates - Now That School Is Through

3 comments:

Serah said...

I am trying to come to terms with having a "school age" child...I really much prefered saying I had a toddler. It's the first day of kindergarden for Ella and I today. It is a little comforting to know that she might request some mixed tapes one day. Right now I am dealing with the radio tunes she sings from being at daycare, *sigh*. I guess it had to happen some time.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

It all starts in grade 6! Have a great year, Jack! You've got the tunes to start you off right.

Sean Wraight said...

SERAH - You put it well when you termed it “coming to terms with having a school age child.” I recall very well the first days of my sons first full days of school… I think I felt it all; from pride to sadness to guilt to very real joy. In the end though I suppose it really taught me to make the most of the time I do spend with him - Putting the administrations of being a parent aside to experience the pleasurable things that truly moulds these little beings. We are wholly blessed to have them nearby, just so important to recognize how fleeting that time really is.

Only recently has he expressed an interest in exploring music on his own. I was more than a little shocked when he sang a Replacements/ Weird Al Yankovic/ Beatles / White Stripes medley on a recent drive across the city. At the very least his musical interests are diverse.

All I could do was smile.

S

BARBARA – He does indeed have the tunes Barb and I will do all I can to feed him with the most interesting sounds I can find. And you’re right… It really does start in Grade Six. I hope I’ve given him a little bit of a jump start in the music department. I’ll be sure to pass on the well wishes.

S