Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Shel Silverstein is renowned as the author of a number of classic children’s books. His lovable kids' poetry like A Light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and The Missing Piece are in print the world over and loved by millions. Many of you may not know Silverstein, (who passed away in 1999), was also a very successful songwriter. In fact, Silverstein penned the classic songs "A Boy Named Sue" for Johnny Cash and "The Cover of the Rolling Stone" for Dr. Hook. The man was truly multi-talented with an endearing comic edge.
The new album Twistable, Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein, due June 8th from Sugar Hill Records, honours Silverstein the songwriter. My Morning Jacket, Andrew Bird and Black Francis are three of the fans/ artists contributing to the album. Other Silverstein aficionados include the Decemberists offshoot Black Prairie, Dr. Dog, Lucinda Williams, Kris Kristofferson and John Prine. Bobby Bare Jr. and Bobby Bare Sr. teamed up to co-produce the slightly off kilter collection-fitting considering that Silverstein wrote the 1973 album Lullabies, Legends and Lies for the elder Bare. Both Bares got Grammy nominations for the Silverstein-penned duet "Daddy What If", which Bare Jr. covers on the tribute album with his own daughter, Isabella. But I for one can’t wait to hear Black Francis’ and Joey Santiago’s take on “The Cover of the Rolling Stone”.
Twistable, Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein:
02. Andrew Bird - "The Twistable, Turnable Man Returns"
03. John Prine - "This Guitar Is for Sale"
04. Dr. Dog - "The Unicorn"
05. Kris Kristofferson - "The Winner"
06. Sarah Jarosz With Black Prairie - "Queen of the Silver Dollar"
07. Bobby Bare, Jr. with Isabella Bare - "Daddy What If"
08. Black Francis with Joey Santiago - "The Cover of the Rolling Stone"
09. The Boxmasters - "Sylvia's Mother"
10. Ray Price - "Me and Jimmie Rodgers"
11. Todd Snider - "A Boy Named Sue"
12. Lucinda Williams - "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan"
13. Bobby Bare - "The Living Legend"
14. Nanci Griffith - "The Giving Tree"
15. My Morning Jacket - "26 Second Song"