La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Friday, February 1, 2008

Joe Strummer - The Future is Unwritten

I’ll never forget that December morning I learned that Joe Strummer had died. It seemed impossible to me that death would fell this mighty punk rock icon at such an early age. He had survived it all and his invincibility was quite secure with me; Congenital heart defects seldom emerge with warning though. To this day, I still miss this man’s huge musical and philosophical presence. Born John Graham Mellor in Ankara, Turkey in 1952 to British diplomat parents, he transformed without much forethought from a self-described "mouthy little git" into a formidable musician and activist. He profoundly influenced me in many ways and helped set the course for my future musical inclinations. Sure I’ve got my fancy pants remasters, boxed sets and dvd’s to remind me of him but the discovery of music because of him happens less and less because he is gone. I can honestly say I was breathless the first time I saw the London Calling cover in the import bin of my favourite record shop. The cover (and music therein) still gives me goosebumps. To that end I am not alone. Countless musicians, actors, politicians, bloggers, misfits and thieves count him as a personal hero. Right up there with Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley.

I was very pleased then to hear then that Julien Temple’s documentary Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten will make an appearance in limited release on Canadian screens. A more worthy musical subject I can not think of. Temple’s film covers the gambit of Strummer’s life with style and heartfelt repect. A host of eloquent testimonials from the likes of Bono to John Cusack explain the singer's incredible mystique. Oddly, but effectively too, David Lee Roth (at 83's US Festival) is also included. Sprinkled throughout, his own words and a host of songs that have now become his legacy are featured. Still as fiery and passionate as ever, his performances quite singular.

So if you are looking for something to do this weekend and love the only music that matters, you might want to seek out this amazing film. I’ll be doing that. Listen to the playlist composed above as well for a reminder of the greatness of Joe Strummer.

No comments: