La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Friday, March 27, 2009

Tortoise vs. Eagle


A Couple Notable Forthcoming Releases

It's been five years since Tortoise's last full-length studio recording, It’s All Around You hit store shelves. Good things do however come to those who wait and a brand new release from Chicago’s finest is just around the corner. Beacons of Ancestorship , Tortoise's sixth LP, is set to be released June 23rd via Thrill Jockey. And as a small taste of things to come, the first track off the album will be released as part of Thrill Jockey's Records Toreism comp on Record Store Day, April 18th.

Track Listing: Beacons of Ancestorship

01. High Class Slim Came Floatin' In
02. Prepare Your Coffin
03. Northern Something
04. Gigantes
05. Penumbra
06. Yinxianghechengqi
07. The Fall Of Seven Diamonds Plus One
08. Minors
09. Monument Six One Thousand
10. de Chelly
11. Charteroak Foundation

What’s up next is the new wistfully titled release from Bill Callahan (indeed he is the Smog guy) called Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle. Definitely one of the finest singer songwriters of this era, the pre-release songs I have heard so far are outstanding. Each possesses a real emotive beauty that further underscores Callahan’s singular talent. There is no doubt in my mind the longer song cycle will be making my best of list at the end of the year. This is definitely one to make room for in the collection. Break out the hankies, the album is set to be released on April 14th, 2009 on Drag City.

Download "Eid Ma Clack Shaw" here.

Track Listing: Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle


1. Jim Cain
2. Eid Ma Clack Shaw
3. The Wind and The Dove
4. Rococo Zephyr
5. Too Many Birds
6. My Friend
7. All Thoughts Are Prey to Some Beast
8. Invocation of Ratiocination
9. Faith/Void

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

This is grand news. I saw Bill Callahan at the folk festival last year, on the same stage as Great Lake Swimmers - inspired matchup.

Sean Wraight said...

Barb - Inspired to say the least! What a great match up that would be.

I really have to recommend the new Callahan disc. I heard a preview copy the other day and this thing is amazing.

I'm all ready starting to compose my Best of 2009 list after hearing this one. Pick it up if you get a chance. Highly recommended.

s