La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Monday, July 7, 2008

Polaris Prize Shortlist Announced



The speculation is over now that the Polaris Prize shortlist has finally been announced. Pared down from a list of 40, the 176 person jury has officially made its pronouncement. I'm proud to say that the City of London is being well represented by locals Basia Bulat and rapper Shad.

The full list (in alphabetical order) is reproduced below.

Black Mountain – In The Future (Vancouver, BC) official site MySpace
Plants and Animals – Parc Avenue (Montréal, QC) official site MySpace
Basia Bulat – Oh, My Darling (London, ON) official site MySpace
Stars – In Our Bedroom After The War (Montréal, QC) official site MySpace
Caribou – Andorra (Dundas, ON) official site MySpace
Shad – The Old Prince (London, ON) MySpace
Kathleen Edwards – Asking For Flowers (Ottawa, ON) official site MySpace
Two Hours Traffic – Little Jabs (Charlottetown, PE)
official site MySpace
Holy Fuck – LP (Toronto, ON) official site MySpace
The Weakerthans – Reunion Tour (Winnipeg, MB) official site MySpace

I will be blog-lobbying hard to see Basia Bulat win this one. Keep your fingers crossed.

10 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Very interesting link. They made some good choices.

I haven't heard all of Basia Bulat's cd, although I have certainly liked what I have heard. I'm torn between her, Holy Fuck, and the Weakerthans.

Sean Wraight said...

Good choices indeed Barb. It's going to be a terrific race. All of the contenders are very strong.

Perhaps a friendly blog wager when the final announcement gets a litte closer.

s

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You are on, my friend! A personalized mix cd on the line, perhaps?

Or a tribute to the winning blogger on the losing blogger's site?

Anonymous said...

If I can't say the band's name to my Mom I wouldn't vote for them.

Erin

bloody awful poetry said...

I haven't actually listened fully to any of the albums apart from Basia Bulat's (so I'm pimping her for the win of course!) but I also like what I've heard of The Weakerthans. Must get a move on and listen to some Kathleen Edwards. I'm shamefully behind!

Sean Wraight said...

Hello bap,

I would also recommend th Plants and Animals cd Parc Avenue. It is very good and a compelling listen from start to finish. It will definitely appear in My Best of 2008 list.

Thanks for dropping by. I have been enjoying your site of late.

Cheers,
s

Anonymous said...

Caribou will win this. You can bet on it.

Dean

Anonymous said...

Being a homer I'd love to see either Basia or Shad take it, but based on the jurys voting record I have a hard time seeing either of those names coming after Final Fantasy, and Patrick Watson.

I suspect we'll see either Plants and Animals or Caribou get the nod...

Sean Wraight said...

Interesting... Caribou seems to be getting quite a bit of favoured interest in this one. My feeling is though if precedence holds true it won't be a high profile release that takes it. Final Fantasy took it the first year, Patrick Watson the second.

Then again, you just never know.

Thank you for the comments and keep the speculation coming. We'll find out for certain come September!

s

Anonymous said...

Your picture of Bassia is lurvly.

mm