La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Singles Going Steady

Sub Pop Singles Club is Back

Do you remember the first record you ever bought? No, not the one you found in your parents big ass console stereo but the first one you paid for with your own money. I suppose I could lie and tell you mine was a Big Star single from 1974 and it changed my life yadda, yadda, yadda… In the interests of full disclosure then, my first record was a far less cool offering. It was a nondescript single from 1975 that touched my then pre-teen heart; (Yes, I am that old.) That record, a ‘45 was Elton John’s “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”. The one that started it all I guess. I haven’t looked back since.

Great news this week from Seattle, WA for fans of the beloved 45 rpm single that Sub Pop Records has decided to resurrect its popular Singles Club. Sign up, and you'll receive one 7-inch record each month for a year. It may come from any Sub Pop artist, including No Age, Black Lips, Fleet Foxes and others. (The first record will include two songs from the band Om.)

The club costs $75, and shipments start Aug. 15. Only 1,500 copies of each single will be pressed, so a limited amount of subscriptions are available. Subscribers will also receive nifty coupons "enabling the download of high-quality MP3s of each record." A great deal considering the money I have spent on Ebay trying to track down that elusive Singles Club 1.0
Mudhoney, Afghan Whigs or White Stripes single. I suppose you could consider it investing for your retirement.

Let me know the first record you ever purchased in the Comments section.

3 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love the idea of the Singles Club, although I doubt I will end up taking advantage of it. I love entire cds more.

The first record I ever bought was actually not that cringeworthy - Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild. Does date me though, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

This may be a first. Elton John and Subpop Records mentioned together. Under the cloak of anonymity I will admit my first music purchase was a NKOTB cassette. Now that is cool!

Erin

Sean Wraight said...

So true BARB but I must admit I really love the tangible nature of vinyl. Especially these Sub Pop singles. They are made well and are clearly designed for a collectors market. Not to mention it would be nice to receive new and unique music in the mail every month.

ABSOLUTELY not cringeworthy. Your first record is downright cool. And Canadian to boot!

ERIN, your comment made me laugh. I had forgotten about those children of the 80's whose first records were actually cassettes. Tell me though... Are you excited about the reunion of NKOTB?

Take care,

s