La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mental Mixtapes and the Art of Deerhoof


Recently I was asked about whom I considered to be my favourite ‘current’ musician or band. I have to admit, I always approach this question with a modicum of abhorrence because I can never supply a definitive response. This is not from a lack of choice mind you, but rather my ‘favourites’ tend to always be in a state of flux. The reasons for this are numerous and affected by variables most unusual; from the books that occupy my bedside table to the present state of weather to the amount (or lack thereof) of caffeine streaming through my body. My list is like some constantly evolving mental mixtape that I am constantly trying to refine. I just can’t seem to get it quite right.

But I do try…

One band that consistently appears on that cerebral compendium is Deerhoof. Without fail the San Francisco/ Oakland/ Tokyo collective appears with something from their ever growing canon of quirky and jagged pop. Word today that they catalogue will be growing yet again. Their new album, entitled Offend Maggie is due October 6 in the UK from ATP Recordings and October 7 in the U.S. from Kill Rock Stars.

I’ve yet to be disappointed by their output and from the preliminary ‘digitalia’ currently making its way through the tubes this one’s gonna be great.

On that note, the band needs your help. They're offering a portion of the proceeds from the digital sales of the album to a charity, and they'd like their fans to help choose which charity gets the money. All noble causes that are near and dear to your hearts, I hope you will participate. They've narrowed it down to five, and they want you to vote once: election reform advocates Why Tuesday?, media watchdog group FAIR: Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, foreign policy reform proponents Peace Action West, injustice-battling rag Z Magazine, and medical humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders. Send your choice to deerhoofcharityvote@gmail.com by October 1st. The selected charity will be announced October 7th.

And the news just keeps getting better. Deerhoof plan to hit the road through the fall. They recently added a handful of European dates, with the promise of more to follow shortly.

Deerhoof in Concert

08-31 Vancouver, British Columbia - Stanley Park Singing Exhibition
10-03 Los Angeles - Avalon
10-04 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
10-06 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
10-07 Seattle, WA - Neumo's
10-09 Salt Lake City, UT - Urban Lounge
10-11 Denver, CO - Bluebird
10-13 Omaha, NE - The Slowdown
10-14 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
10-15 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
10-16 Bloomington, IN - Buskirk Chumley Theater
10-17 Chicago, IL - Metro
10-18 Pontiac, MI - Crofoot Ballroom
10-21 New York, NY- Spiegeltent
10-22 New York, NY - Irving Plaza
10-23 Cambridge, MA - Middle East
10-24 Northampton, MA - Pearl Street
10-25 Philadelphia, PA - Starlight Ballroom
10-26 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
10-28 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
10-29 Asheville, NC - Grey Eagle
10-30 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
10-31 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
11-01 Orlando, FL - The Social
11-02 Tampa, FL - Crowbar
11-05 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
11-06 Houston, TX - Numbers
11-07 Dallas, TX - Granada
11-08 Austin, TX - Fun Fun Fun Fest
11-10 El Paso, TX - Club 101
11-12 Tucson, AZ - Club Congress
11-13 Tempe, AZ - The Clubhouse
12-05 Antwerp, Belgium - Trix
12-06 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Melkweg
12-08 Rennes, France - Antipode
12-10 Lyon, France - Grrrnd Zero
12-11 Paris, France - Trabendo (Sonic Protest Festival)

2 comments:

Serah said...

I was on the fence about going to see the Singing Exhibition, in Vancouver. I had planned on taking my cousin to see her first concert. It was between seeing a bunch of great musicians, including Deerhoof or the Raconteurs. The Raconteurs won out b/c I know she'll have a most unforgetable time.

Sean Wraight said...

I would have wrestled with that one too Serah. I think you've chosen well though. What a terrific memory that will be. A first concert is such an important event. That's so nice you get to be a part of that. Do you remember your first concert and who the performer was?

Have fun at the show!

s