La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cover Me, Come On and Cover Me

War Child, is an international charity that provides aid to children in war-torn regions of the world. Organizers have a really fantastic compilation with a twist lined up for 2009. Rock legends such as Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney chose their favourite “newish” bands to cover their classic songs. War Child’s new album, Heroes, is released on February 24th in the US and March 3rd in Canada, and features 16 amazing reinterpretations.


TV on the Radio will be contributing a cover of David Bowie’s “Heroes” to the compilation.

1. Beck – Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat - Bob Dylan
2. The Kooks – Victoria - The Kinks
3. The Hold Steady - Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen
4. Hot Chip – Transmission - Joy Division
5. Lily Allen feat. Mick Jones - Straight To Hell - The Clash
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker - The Ramones
7. Franz Ferdinand - Call Me - Blondie
8. Duffy - Live And Let Die - Paul McCartney
9. Estelle - Superstition - Stevie Wonder
10. Rufus Wainwright - Wonderful & Song For Children - Brian Wilson
11. Scissor Sisters - Do The Strand - Roxy Music
12. Peaches - Search And Destroy - Iggy Pop
13. Adam Cohen - Take This Waltz - Leonard Cohen
14. Elbow - Running To Stand Still - U2
15. The Like - You Belong To Me - Elvis Costello
16. TV On the Radio - Heroes - David Bowie

Really looking forward to hearing the Hold Steady’s take on Bruce Springsteen’s Atlantic City.

Do you have a favourite cover song that you treasure?

4 comments:

Allison said...

War Child is such a great cause and this cd looks quite good! Interested to hear Hot Chip and Tv on the Radio.

I very much enjoy The Futureheads version of 'Hounds of Love.'

Dale said...

I like so many covers, it's tough to single one out. I'll keep thinking and keep my ears open for this when it shows up!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I actually adore the William Shatner/Ben Folds cover of Pulp's Common People. It's a glorious mess.

I am looking forward to hearing Franz Ferdinand cover Blondie. They've done a great job covering Gwen Stefani.

Sean Wraight said...

Allison - I too am a sucker for a great cover. Of course there are plenty of stinkers out there. I think the Futureheads definitely made that one their own though!

Dale - Curious isn't it? I can't really explain our penchant for covers. I have many favourites as well. I think it has everything to do with familiarity and recognition that is doing it for us.


Barbara - Ooooooh, an informed choice that one. I really like Joe Jackson's input too. I think that in some ways it even surpasses the original. I'll have to dig out that CD again...