La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Your Face Gave it Away

Grammys sign up Thom Yorke and others for New Ad Campaign

Thom Yorke once proclaimed me to be “the only one here tonight that didn’t have pimples…”. Unfortunately he wasn’t complimenting me on my ivory snow like complexion but rather commenting on the fact that most of the fans that waited around his tour bus that hot August night were decidedly younger than me.

Bastard! I still have a complex when I go to all ages shows…

News today that Yorke’s blemish free visage would be used by the Grammy’s this year as part of an ad campaign in which composites of nominated stars' faces are created from the titles and lyrics of songs that influenced their musical development. The Yorke ad pictured at right, contains references to artists ranging from Scott Walker "Psoriatic" to the Liars "The Wrong Coat for You Mt. Heart Attack"). One of the biggest references in Yorke's ad goes to electronic genius' Modeselektor, whose "Kill Bill Vol. 4" is inscribed into the forehead of the Radiohead singer. Bjork's "Unravel", which Yorke has previously cited as one of his favourite songs ever, also gets a nod, as does Madvillain's "Meat Grinder". A TV ad narrated by Yorke is rolling out as the broadcast gets closer, but for now, there's a spot featuring Stevie Wonder's musical development.

In addition to Yorke's face, print ads from L'il Wayne and Rihanna come with slightly more popular nods of infuence. Lil Wayne's ad pays tribute to Jay-Z's "Can't Knock the Hustle" and Young Buck's "Pocket Full of Paper" for instance. The most notable presence on the Rihanna visage is Destiny's Child's "Say My Name".

Thom and the Radiohead boys are nominated for a Grammy this year in the Best Rock album category for In Rainbows, and I still haven’t started colouring my hair.

3 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You have got to give yourself more credit - you know that Thom was totally hitting on you.

Have you also seen him in the Granny's ad? It makes an old girl's heart flutter.

Allison said...

Your title to this post is the tagline for my life.

Cool ad! Seeing a lot of interesting ones lately.

Sean Wraight said...

Barb - I wondered!! I can be so oblivious to those things.

It's very nice to see Thom involved in these endeavours. I think it takes the piss out of him a little bit. I think he's been misconstrued as overtly serious and yet I find he's got a wonderful sense of humour. One of the good guys if you will.

Allison - Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I agree, the ads have been clever. Someone is obviously doing something right. Heck, I might be tempted to even watch it again this year. Wish I could say the same for the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame thing.

s