La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Radiohead to Perform at the 2009 Grammy Awards


At Least Part of It Will Be Worth Watching This Year

News today that Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Justin Timberlake, T.I., Kanye West and Jay-Z will all perform at this year’s Grammy Awards ceremony. A diverse line-up but the biggest coup has to be the addition of Radiohead, who have never played the event despite Best Alternative Album wins for OK Computer and Kid A. The band is nominated for a stellar five awards this year, including Best Album for In Rainbows. The presentation will be the band’s “first live U.S. television performance since 2000.”

McCartney’s Grammy performance is a bit of a surprise as well, considering the former Wings frontman and some other band was only nominated in a pair of smaller categories. Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl will join Paulie onstage as his “special guest drummer.” Go Gringo!

This star-studded slate of newly announced artists join an already stacked roster of performers at the 51st annual Grammy awards, including Coldplay, Jonas Brothers, Lil Wayne, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Katy Perry and Kenny Chesney. Unconfirmed outlets have reported Radiohead’s Thom Yorke will join Katie Perry on stage for a very special version of "I Kissed a Weird Fishie".

I just can’t wait.

4 comments:

katrocket said...

Eeeee!!!

I hate the Grammys because I think it's all so much BS, but Thom Yorke is giving me a reason to watch this year. There's a first time for everything.

Fingers crossed for "In Rainbows"!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

hahaha I too will be watching the Grammys for the first time in my life. And you know I will be wearing my red pants and my Tibetan flag.

I can't wait to hear if Thom says anything controversial.

Allison said...

Cool, I may actually watch the show this year then.

Sean Wraight said...

Kat- I honestly think 'In Rainbows' has a great chance of winning this year. The record is stunning and I think all facets of it from distribution to promotion to the amazing content of the record itself made it a landmark release. I should be recognized as such. Fingers crossed indeed! And everything else too.

Barb - I am glad you will be appropriately decked out for the evening. It's funny but I was considering too what Thom might have to say when an international audience is in his grasp. I suspect in the end he may just let the music do the talking. A strong and relevant statement in itself.

Allison- Hats off to the Grammy organizers this year for doing things differently. From the custom posters to a diverse roster of live performers they too are adapting to a changing musical landscape. Let's hope it translates to more viewers. More people need to see the beauty of Radiohead's music and perhaps less of Katy Perry's breasts.

s