La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Monday, May 5, 2008

Livin' La Vida 11 Year Old

I have to admit. I was feeling great trepidation prior to seeing Robert Downey Jr’s, superhero debut in Iron Man this weekend. Perhaps it was one too many Ally McBeal episodes or even trailer preview fatigue, take your pick. But ten minutes in and I was sold. This movie is seriously good and it reminded me exactly what great Saturday afternoon cinema should be about. Iron Man was pure escapist fun on an overblown sound system. It was very loud and brash, appealling equally to my inner eleven year old and gadget geek core. Rest assured too, Downey was thoroughly compelling as the unlikely superhero. His assistant, Pepper Potts played by Gwyneth Paltrow, my new fantasy girlfriend.

So terrific to see a fully attended theatre too, it’s been a while since I’ve witnessed that. Iron Man is a blast from start to finish and I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Yes! I am so glad to hear that this movie is filling the void of really good superhero escapist cinema. I am definitely planning to see this, although it's not my usual type of film, but Robert Downey Jr seems to brings with him an intelligence to a film that is very appealing.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Sean Wraight said...

Absolutely Barbara, he does bring a level of intelligence to the film that might have been lost on a younger actor. He brought exactly the right level of humour and pathos to the role and made it his own. It's nice to be surprised by a performance and this is one of those.

s