La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Best Music of 2008 - Part One

80 08

As a prodigious list maker my life interests always seem to get ranked at the end of every year. Music of course is no exception and my little obsession is your gain. On the upside too it’s also a lot more exciting than ranking my favourite vegetables. I'm Just saying…

This year I’m going to attempt this early to ward off potential ‘compendi-contamination’ from the myriad of sources that compile and rank the best music of the year. I’ll present twenty titles at a time to draw this one out and build some anticipation.

Rankings are based solely on my personal assessment of the relative artistic and creative merit of each piece. In most cases reissues are not included.

So, without further adieu and my sincere apologies if I contaminate your list with my rankings.

The 80 best CD’s of 08.

As always commentary and fishes are welcome and can be left below.


80. Liam Finn I’ll Be Lightning
79. Destroyer Trouble In Dreams
78. She And Him Volume One
77. The Walkmen You And Me
76. R.E.M. Accelerate
75. Ry Cooder I, Flathead
74. Forest City Lovers Haunting Moon Sinking
73. DeVotchKa A Mad And Faithful Telling
72. Sigur Ros Með Suð I Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
71. Hauschka Ferndorf
70. The Jealous Girlfriends The Jealous Girlfriends
69. Angela Desveaux The Mighty Ship
68. Bonnie Prince Billy Lie Down In the Light
67. Calexico Carried To Dust
66. The War On Drugs Wagonwheel Blues
65. Flying Lotus Los Angeles
64. Adem Takes
63. Juana Molina Un Dia

62. David Byrne And Brian Eno Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
61. Lambchop Oh (Ohio)

CD's 60 - 41 tomorrow
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG REM not #1 for you this year! I can't believe this.

List looks intereting. I can't wait to see your #1!

erin

The R.O.B. said...

That is REALLY ambitious... 80? I can't even remember 80 CDs that were released in '08...

Sean Wraight said...

Erin - Yes I kinda suspected someone would notice that considering their placement in previous years. Good album for certain but there were plenty of others that engaged me in much different ways.

R.O.B. - Gotta be ambitious my friend. There was a tonne of good stuff released this year and I'm just giving it its due. Looking forward to your list as well.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Whew! 80! No wonder you are starting early. Good thing the no-Christmas-talk-before-December rule does not apply to best-of lists.

I have to tell you that you accidentally (I'm sure) put Sigur Ros waaaay too low.

Sean Wraight said...

Barbara- Therein lies the debate huh? Sigur Ros put out a terrific record as did DeVotchKa BUT when I apply my highly scientific ranking formula it appears at 72. Nope not a mistake, heck how else could I fit Chad Van Gaalen in there? (Ah yes he is still to come.)

There is a method to my music madness. Trust me. :-)